|Short Service Record (WO363)|
(For the Duration of the War, with the Colours in the Army Reserve)
D418 finally verified and passed to Paymaster Date 24 11 16
Recruiting office : James Watt St. Birmingham
No 44345 (crossed through) 101818 (ticked)
Name John Alfred Staffrod
Corps : (appears to say Royal Engineers)
Questions to be put to the Recruit before Enlistment.
1. What is your Name
John Alfred Stafford
2. What is your full Address.
154 Maunsell Road
Small Heath Birmingham
(96 ……. Is crossed out)
3. Are you a British Subject?
4. What is your Age?
37 Years Months
5. What is your Trade or Calling?
6. Are you married?
7. Have you ever served in any branch of His Majesty's Forces, naval or military?
8. Are you willing to be vaccinated or re-vaccinated?
9. Are you willing to be enlisted for General Service?
10. Did you receive a Notice, and do you understand its meaning, and who gave it to you?
Name : Sgt Roberts Corps : N R (?)
11. Are you willing to serve upon the following conditions provided His Majesty should so long require your services?
For the duration of the War, at the end of which you will be discharged with all convenient speed. You will be required to serve for one day with the Colours and the remainder of the period in the Army Reserve, in accordance with the provisions of the Royal Warrant dated 20th Oct 1915, until such time as you may be called up by order of the Army Council. If employed with Hospitals, depots of Mounted Units, or as a Clerk, etc., you may be retained after the termination of hostilities until your services can be spared, but such retention shall in no case exceed six months.
I John Alfred Stafford do solemnly declare that the above answers made by me to the above questions are true, and that I am willing to fulfil the engagements made.
I John Alfred Stafford swear by Almighty God, that I will be faithful and bear true Allegiance to His Majesty King George the Fifth, His Heirs, and Successors, and that I will, as in duty bound, honestly and faithfully defend His Majesty, His Heirs, and Successors in Person, Crown and Dignity against all enemies, and will observe and obey all orders of His Majesty, His Heirs, and Successors, and of the Generals and Officers set over me. So help me God.
Over the top of all this are the words : Discharged and apparently the date 7/8/18